- 1 litre coconut milk
- 1 litre warm water
- 150g red onions*
- 30g ginger*
- 50g garlic*
- 80g fresh turmeric*
- 30g dried chilli (soaked, boiled and blended)*
- 40g dried shrimp (grounded finely)
- 2 candlenuts (buah keras, grounded finely)
- 150g long beans (cut into 5cm in length)
- 150g cabbage (cut into pieces)
- 100g fuchuk (beancurd skin)
- 150g lobak merah (cut into chunks)
- 2 stk lemongrass (crushed)
- 40g galangal (crushed)
- 4 beancurd (cut into 4 pieces, deep-fried till golden)
- 2 pcs tempeh (cut into cube and deep-fried)
- 800g compressed rice cakes (cut into cubes)
- 5 hard-boiled eggs (shelled, halved)
- 4 tbsp grated coconut (stir-fried in dry pan till golden with a bit of palm sugar)
- salt and sugar to taste
Combine coconut milk with warm water.
Blend the * ingredients and mix together with dried chilli paste.
Heat 6 tbsp oil in wok till hot. Stir-fry the paste mix, dried shrimp, turmeric and candlenuts till fragrant.
Pour in coconut milk and bring to boil over moderate heat.
Add long beans, cabbage, lemongrass and galangal. Cook till vegetables are softened.
Stir then add deep-fried beancurd and tempeh.
Season with salt and sugar.
Arrange steamed rice cakes on serving dish. Add coconut gravy then sprinkle with grated coconut. Top with halved eggs.
Steamed rice cake
Wash and soak the rice in water for overnight.
Drain the following day.
Line a metal tin with banana leaf or cloth then pour in the rice.
Place the metal tin in a pot of boiling water and boil for 60 minutes.
Leave it to cool completely before cutting it into pieces.